This is probably one of my most successful recipes. I have baked it for gifts, brought it along to potluck brunches and served it at tea parties, and I always get compliments on it. I have shared this recipe with others in a one-on-one manner for years, so when I baked it for breakfast this week, I thought it was about time I shared it on Tonight’s Dinner.
I love this bread because it is as easy to make as banana bread, but doesn’t have the same run-of-the-mill feeling to it. It is a perfect blend of healthy food (zucchini) and tasty indulgence (chocolate chips) all accented with a yummy hint of cinnamon.
A couple of things to try: Use parchment paper to line the pan instead of butter and it will lift right out after you let it cool in the pan a bit. Substitute 1 cup of flour for a cup of whole wheat flour to up the fibre.
If you want to try it yourself…
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread (source: some magazine I read a long time ago)
3 zucchini, shredded (about 5 cups)
1 ½ tsp. salt, divided
3 cups & 2 Tbsp. flour, divided
½ tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
1 ¾ cups sugar
1 cup oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
- In a large colander: toss zucchini with 1 tsp. salt. Place a smaller plate over the zucchini. Weigh down with a heavy can. Set aside 30 minutes to release liquid.
- Position oven rack to lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 350⁰F.
- Butter and flour a 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl: combine 3 cups flour, cinnamon, soda, powder and remaining salt.
- In another bowl: combine sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Toss chocolate chips in remaining flour.
- Pat zucchini dry between paper towels.
- Stir sugar mixture and zucchini into flour mixture until combined. Add chocolate chips.
- Transfer to pan. Bake 1.5 hours or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool on rack 30 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on rack.