I was a little skeptical when we decided to make this soup. I’m not the biggest fan of ground meat in soup. Chili I can do. Stew I can do. But soup, not so much. I am so glad I didn’t listen to my gut. This soup is AMAZING! There is no way to effectively describe just how good it is in words, so I will just have to insist that you try it yourself.
It is easy to prepare. All you need to do is brown the meat, chop and sauté the veggies and throw it all in a slow cooker and let it cook while you’re at work or out running errands. It’s a great soup for hardworking families and busy days. While the recipe asks you to add frozen peas and lemon juice at the end of the cooking process, we have forgotten this step both times that we have made this soup and it still tastes great. In fact, it tastes so good, we will probably never try it with lemon juice and peas—why mess with a good thing?
Our little soup loving boy was all over this soup the first time we made it. The second time he wasn’t thrilled with the ground beef (guess he takes after me), but toddlers are finicky and unpredictable when it comes to food, so we’ll say he gave it one thumb up instead of two.
Leftovers of this soup reheat well. It’s so good there probably won’t be anything left to freeze.
If you want to try it yourself…
Vegetable Beef & Rice Soup (source: Canadian Living Slow Cooker Collection)
8 oz. lean ground beef
2 large carrots, diced
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, diced
Half sweet red pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp crumbled dried rosemary
1/2 tsp. salt and pepper
6 cups beef broth
2/3 cup parboiled whole grain rice
1 cup frozen peas
1 tbsp lemon juice
- In large skillet, sauté beef over medium-high heat, breaking up with fork until crumbly and no longer pink, about 8 minutes. With slotted spoon transfer beef to slow cooker.
- Drain fat from skillet. Fry carrots, onion, celery, red pepper, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 6 minutes. Scrape into slow cooker.
- Add 1/2 cup of the broth to skillet; bring to a boil, scraping up brown bits from bottom of skillet. Scrape into slow cooker along with remaining broth, 2 cups water and rice. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low until vegetables are tender, about 5 hours.
- Stir in peas and lemon juice. Cover and cook on high until steaming hot, about 15 minutes.
Makes 8-10 servings in a 4-6 L slow cooker.
Per serving: 129 calories, 8 g protein, 4 g total fat (1 g saturated fat); 16 g carbs; 2 g fibre; 13 mg cholesterol; 629 mg sodium